5.18.2009


GROWING UP I didn't have male role models to model myself after. Most ridiculed me for being unique, rather than embracing me or taking me under their wing. My father always played a role in my life but it was my grandfather, Nathaniel Souto, who took on the full responsibility. He was a "man's man" and the definition of a man from the 1960's; strong, stoic, resilient, protective, an earner and provider. He never had to beg, borrow or steal. He was a man of few words but when those few words were spoken you listened. My grandfather is the real reason I went to college and devoted my life to educating myself, making a name for myself, continuously challenging myself and never allowing anyone to run my life or make my decisions. I remember being young and comparing other fathers to him. They failed in comparison. One need only visit the formidible 3 Morgan Terrace to witness his beautiful house, healthy well-cared for children and his wife, the most beautiful woman to walk the face of the earth, my grandmother, Mary Souto. In my eyes he had everything.. everything worth having. I've spent my life trying to achieve something similiar to what he achieved. I thank him for inspiring me. And today, I still thank him.. For reminding me that I've still got a long way to go.
My GrandParents.. 2gether 4ever..
RIP "Daddy" 5/11/9







© Hassan Souto 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment